Senior Engineer - Interactive VR
THE THIRD FLOOR is a visualization studio dedicated to supporting the production of next-generation media content for feature film, television, commercials, video games, virtual reality and themed attractions. Working hand-in-hand with directors, producers and key crew, the company’s artists use specialized skills in storytelling and computer animation to create digital versions of shots and scenes to streamline physical production and post. Since its founding in 2004, the company has contributed to breakthrough projects from Avatar to Gravity. Recent credits include Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Doctor Strange, The Jungle Book, Captain America: Civil War and Game of Thrones. THE THIRD FLOOR has received three Emmy Awards, as well as awards from the Visual Effects Society, the Themed Entertainment Society, Hollywood Post Alliance and SIGGRAPH.
Our VR team is looking for an experienced programmer to help build our next generation of products. You will work with the VR team to contribute across all aspects of development. Strong candidates will have a deep understanding of interactive design and engineering, systems implementation, and be able to take responsibility for discrete systems. Being agile and able to quickly switch between multiple tasks is an essential requirement in this fast-developing space.
- Build amazing VR games and experiences.
- Work closely with technical and creative disciplines to define and rapidly prototype interactive products.
- Create clean, efficient, and well documented solutions for use across multiple VR projects.
- Improve existing systems and pipelines to aid in the creation of new experiences.
- Investigate and create new tools and technologies to improve efficiency and power our next generation of content.
- Expert knowledge of Unreal Engine and C++.
- Experience working within game or interactive entertainment development teams.
- Strong engineering skills applicable to VR and gaming applications, including a combination of VR interaction techniques, 3D graphics, UI / UX, animation and IK systems.
- Track record of commercially published titles, preferably on console or VR platforms in entertainment space.
- Deep working hands-on knowledge and understanding of software design and coding techniques.
- 5+ years of interactive development experience.
- Knowledge of VR and gaming platforms and middleware technologies - strengths & weaknesses.
- Debugging and optimization skills.
- Experience with project management tools and techniques (Agile / Scrum, Perforce, Jira / Trello, GreenHopper, etc.).
- Able to think creatively resolve technical challenges and limitations.
- A desire to learn new innovative technologies to improve personal development and skills.
- BS or MS in computer science, software engineering, or equivalent formal qualifications.
- Additional experience with Unity and C# highly beneficial.
- Working knowledge of 360 spherical video and stereographic techniques.
- Experience developing across multiple VR / AR systems such as Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, PlayStation VR, GearVR and Google Daydream, etc.
- Experience with Maya and other content creation tools, ability to understand and communicate asset budgets and best practices.
- Solid understanding of optimization techniques to target multiple platforms.
- Bonus points for back-end scripting, BI / Analytics, and tools automation.
- Agility – Flexible, capable of jumping in and running with multiple task simultaneously.
- Self-managed, self-motivated, enthusiastic and passionate.
- Must be willing to listen and learn, can research complex problems and bring solutions.
- Be courageous, persevere, experiment, try and re-try.
- Strong understanding of industry trends, techniques, and stays up-to-date.
- Enthusiastic and willing to make their mark.
Sign up for Job Alerts
VR Interactive Design EngineerBoonSan Francisco, CA, United StatesApr 25
Lead Platform Architect/ Backend EngineerBoonSan Francisco/ Bay AreaApr 24
VR Backend EngineerSpaces Inc.Los Angeles, CA, United StatesApr 22
VR Lead ProgrammerSpaces Inc.Los Angeles, CA, United StatesApr 22
Webgl developerPilot LightLos Angeles, CA, United StatesApr 19
Senior C++ / 3D EngineerAugmentParis, FranceApr 05
Algorithm EngineerLENS ImmersiveNorth Sydney, New South Wales, AustraliaJan 30
Algorithm EngineerLENS ImmersiveWaterloo, ON, CanadaJan 30
C++ EngineerTHE VOIDAustin, TX, United StatesJan 30
Chief Technology OfficerOblixNew York, NY, United StatesApr 11